Trendy Hair Wrap Craft
Hair wraps are the latest trend this summer. They keep you cool, keep the hair out of your face, and can be matched to any outfit. This craft is perfect for the beginning seamstress, allowing for practice threading a needle and creating a line of straight stitches. Create this simple and inexpensive hair wrap with just a few materials!
What you'll need:
- 1 piece of fabric (6 inches wide and at least 44 inches (3 ¾ ft) long)
- A needle with an eye large enough for a beginning seamstress
- A spool of thread that matches the fabric
- Fabric scissors
How to make your hair wrap:
- Take your piece of fabric and fold it in half so that the patterned side of the fabric is facing inward. (See Photo)
- Cut a piece of thread and thread the needle so that the thread is doubled. Tie a knot at the end.
- Beginning with one of the short ends of material, fold a ½ inch seam and begin to stitch, overlapping the seam with each stitch. (see Photo)
- When you reach the end of the short side, fold the long side of fabric 3/8 inch. Continue sewing with stitches that overlap the seam.
- Continue to sew, until the thread is almost gone. On your last stitch, re-stitch at least five times in the same place to hold the stitch. Cut the remaining thread and re-thread the needle.
- Continue sewing, until you reach the end of the length of fabric. Once again, fold the width of the fabric ½ inches. Sew halfway across the width of the fabric and stitch the last stitch five times in the same place. Cut the remaining thread.
- Using your fingers, flip the tube of fabric so that the fabric is facing right side out. Pull at each of the corners, making sure that they are flat.
- Re-thread the needle and sew the remaining half of the width that is not yet sewn, tucking in the ½ inch seam as you go.
- Stitch the last stitch five times in the same place so that the thread holds. Trim the remaining thread and any threads that are sticking out from the seams or edges.
- Flatten the hair wrap. Iron it if you desire a firm crease.
- To wear, pull hair back from face in a bun or pony tail. Tie the hair wrap around the pony tail or your head. (See photo) Be prepared for people to stop and ask you where you bought your stunning hair wrap!
Please add a comment
Please do not reproduce any of our content on your own site
without direct permission. We welcome you to link directly to any pages on our site without specific permission. We
also welcome any feedback, ideas or anything you want to share with us - just email us at