What you'll need:
How to make your popsicle matching game:
- Construction paper
- Popsicle template
- Popsicle sticks
- Tape or glue (or glue dots!)
- Print our template and cut out the popsicle piece. Trace this onto construction paper and cut out. To save time, stack a few pieces of construction paper and cut them out at the same time. Note: Pick your colors carefully. Our first time making this game, it looked really cute to make the popsicles all different colors. As I wrote the rhyming words on each set of popsicles my daughter pointed out that she didn't have to read the words. "Look Mommy, all I have to do is match the colors!" While this would have been good if she was much younger, this was not the point for her now. So I remade them so that they were only two colors...still fun, but at least now she had to read!
- Cut the popsicles in half so you have a matching set. Tape or glue (tape is faster) the popsicle stick to the backs of the popsicles.
- Write words, numbers or shapes on the two sides of the popsicle so that your child can match them.
- Spread the popsicles on the floor, making sure to mix up the matches. Have your child put their popsicles back together.
- An alternative game is to make this a memory game as well (our daughter came up with this one on her own!). Turn the cards over (word side down) and turn two over. If they match you keep them, if not turn them back over in the same spot. The next person turns over two popsicles to try to make a match and follows the same rules. Try to remember where the words are!
- Ideas for the popsicles:
*picture on one side, word on the other
*math problems: problem on one side (1+1) answer on the other (2)
*counting: 5 dots on one side,
*For younger children, have them just match different colors
*Cut the popsicles apart with different patterns (zigzags, etc.) and put them together
*Any other topic you are working on! For example, we used a set to practice identifying notes on a musical staff with our daughter to reinforce what she's learning in her Kindermusik class.
Please add a comment