This egg carton spider craft is a classic Halloween craft for kids. We decided to try it with our own daughter and we changed it a tiny bit to make it more "toddler friendly". In our version the legs don't fall out on their own because they are all one long piece! It is a simple craft, but younger children will need a little bit of help getting the legs in right (and especially getting the holes for the legs cut). In the end you are left with a cute Halloween craft for kids, and if you make the whole dozen you have some great Halloween decorations too!
What you'll need:
How to make your Egg Carton Spider Craft:
- Cardboard egg carton (styrofoam won't hold the paint needed)
- Black paint
- Red paint or marker
- 2 googly eyes
- 4 black pipe cleaners
- Paint brush
- Hole punch or scissors
- Cut one cup out of an egg carton. Trim it so that it sits flat (no flaps, etc.).
- Paint the egg cup black.
- When the cup is dry, use a hole punch to punch 4 holes on each side of the cup (8 total). If you don't have a hole punch, use scissors to poke the holes -- this should be done by an adult only!
- Thread a pipecleaner through one side of the cup to the other side of the cup. Cut off any that you feel is too long and then bend the legs as shown in the photo.
- Use glue to add the googly eyes and the red paint to paint on a smile.
- **Optional - poke an additional hole in the top of the egg cup and add a string to hang your spider with!