You can teach your child the order of the rainbow colors, along with the legend of finding gold at the end of a rainbow. Your child will enjoy painting, glittering, and embellishing the rainbow and the gold doubloons, as well as making a big, fluffy cloud out of cotton balls! This mobile looks great hanging near a window, where the gold can reflect the sunlight.
What you'll need:
How to make your rainbow mobile craft
- Construction paper in rainbow colors
- Embroidery hoop
- Scissors & glue/glue gun
- Hole punch
- Cotton balls
- Gold paint or glitter
- Sequins or other embellishments
- Cut 8-12 circles out of cardboard, punch a hole in the top of each one, and paint/glitter them gold.
- Cut strips of each color of paper, approximately 1/2in. wide. The strips should be long enough to arch across your hoop as desired. Embellish the strips using sequins, stickers, glitter, etc.
- Take the hoop apart into 2 rings. For each gold doubloon, tie one end of a string to the hole and the other end to the OUTSIDE ring of the hoop. Space them evenly around the hoop.
- Attach a string for hanging by tying the ends of it to opposite sides of the outside ring.
- Glue one end of each rainbow strip to the outer surface of the INSIDE ring of the hoop, overlapping slightly as shown.
- Glue the other ends in the same manner, on the opposite side of the hoop.
- Reassemble the two rings of the hoop.
- Glue cotton balls around the outside of the hoop.
- Hint: To keep mobile from tipping over, hot glue a quarter to the underside of the hoop, opposite the metal bracket, to weight it evenly.