Teach any child their basic shapes with the Milk Carton Shape Mobile. Make your own shape mobile from a plastic milk carton, scissors, a hole punch, yarn, colored cardstock, and markers. This craft is not only fun to make, but will be a wonderful way for children to practice identifying the various shapes that dangle from the mobile!
What you'll need:
How to make your Milk Carton Shape Mobile
- 1 gallon milk carton
- Small pieces of colored cardstock
- Hole punch
- Using scissors, carefully cut off a two inch ring in the center of the milk carton. Remove any labels. (see photos)
- Using the hole punch, punch a hole in the center top of each of the four sides of the milk carton. (see photos)
- Cut four eight inch pieces of yarn and tie one through each of the hole punched holes. Gather all four pies of yarn together and tie them in a knot. This is how your mobile will hang. (see photos)
- Using scissors, out a variety of shapes including a square, circle, triangle, diamond, rectangle, oval, and heart from the colored cardstock. Decorate each of the shapes with markers. Write the name of each shape on the shape, if desired. (see photos)
- Punch a hole in the top of the shapes and tie a six inch piece of yarn through each of the hole punched holes. (see photos)
- Punch holes along the bottom of the milk carton ring and tie the other end of the yarn to the milk carton. (see photos)
- Your Shape Mobile is now ready to decorate your room! How many shapes can you identify? For an added challenge, find other objects around your house that are the same shape!