Making your own dyed pasta can give you a great new material to use in craft
projects with your kids. Make a rainbow of shells, wheels, elbows,
alphabet letters - anything you can find in the dried pasta aisle! This
process does have a very strong odor from the rubbing alcohol and if the mixture
gets on your clothes we have no idea how to get it out! Most importantly,
once your pasta is dyed, you can't eat it! This is for craft purposes
What you'll need:
How to make your Dyed Pasta
- Rubbing alcohol (70% Isopropanol)
- Liquid food coloring
- Dried pasta (unique shapes work well)
- cookie sheet
- paper towels
- Pour rubbing alcohol into a bowl.
- Add a few drops of desired color of food coloring to the rubbing
alcohol and stir. You can always add more food coloring later to
get a more intense color if needed.
- Add dried pasta to the mixture and stir. Make sure the rubbing
alcohol mixture is covering the pasta.
- Let pasta sit 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pasta onto a paper towel lined cookie sheet to let dry.
Move the pasta around while it's drying so that one part of the pasta
doesn't dry faster than another and leave a discolored mark.