This fun craft will allow kids to get busy in the kitchen! Combining three, inexpensive ingredients, children will learn how to read a recipe and follow directions. Children will have fun shaping the play dough, and seeing them become hard through the process of baking. Afterwards, children will decorate their creations, creating fun magnets to decorate for the Fourth of July. This fun craft is sturdy and will please both young and school-aged children!
What you'll need:
How to make your Fourth of July Salt Dough Magnets:
- blue, red, and white craft paint
- paint brush
- plastic knife
- parchment paper
- cookie sheet
- mixing bowl
- measuring cups and spoons
- � Cups flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- sticky back magnets
- clear nail polish (optional)
- With adult supervision, measure out and combine the flour, salt, and water in a mixing bowl. Stir with spoon until play dough forms. If it seems dry, slowly add small amounts of water.
- Once the dough forms a smooth ball, remove and place on parchment paper. Remove a small piece and press flat. Using the plastic knife, cut out a rectangle to resemble the American flag. (see photo)
- Take another piece of play dough and roll into a straight line. Repeat with two more pieces. Take a fourth piece of play dough and form a smaller roll. Using the small roll and one long piece, form the letter "A." Using another line, create the letter "U." With the remaining line, create the letter "S." Join the letters together so that they form "USA." (see photo)
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Tear off another piece of parchment paper and place on the cookie sheet. Using the spatula, carefully place the flag and "USA" pieces on the cookie sheet. Once the oven is preheated, place in the oven and allow to bake for thirty minutes, or until hard.
- Have an adult remove the cookie sheet from the oven. Allow to completely cool.
- Once cool, remove the pieces with the spatula and place on the parchment. Using the paintbrush and blue paint, paint a small rectangle in the upper left hand corner of the rectangle. Also, paint the letter "S" blue. Rinse the paintbrush. (see photo)
- Using the paintbrush and red paint, stripes on the flag, leaving space for the white stripes. Also, paint the letter "U" red. Rinse the paintbrush. (see photo)
- Once the blue paint is dry, use the paintbrush and white paint to paint "stars" (small polka dots) on the blue rectangle. Also, paint the letter "A" white. Let the pieces dry completely. (see photo)
- If desired, use the clear nail polish to paint over the pieces. This will create a glossy look.
- Once dry, turn the pieces over, and glue magnets on the back. Allow the glue to harden for a day before hanging on the refrigerator.
- These cute magnets are now complete and ready for you to brighten up your grocery lists and reminders.