We love crafts that allow us to capture how teeny our daughter is at this very moment in time, and this footprint horse craft is a very fun way to use her little footprint! This horse craft is also great farm animal craft to make with your preschooler. We're working on scissor skills with our daughter currently, and this horse craft is a great way practice cutting skills when you make the horse's mane and the grass in the field. This footprint horse craft was a huge hit with our daughter and we hope your children enjoy it too!
What you'll need:
How to make this footprint horse craft:
- Construction Paper
- 2 googly eyes
- Black crayon
- Trace your child's foot onto a piece of brown construction paper. You just want a general shape, so don't define the toes too much or your horse will have a very bumpy face! Cut the footprint out.
- Cut a rectangle out of brown construction paper. This will be the horse's neck. Have your child cut small slits into one side of the paper to create a mane. This is a great way for young children to practice cutting. Glue the non-cut area of the rectangle down at an angle on a piece of blue construction paper (cut off any extra paper that hangs off the side of the blue paper).
- Glue the footprint to a piece of blue construction paper with the heel of the foot at the top of the page, so that it covers the rectangle slightly.
- Cut two small triangles out of brown construction paper (ears) and glue to the top of the footprint (the top of the heel). Cut two smaller triangles out of pink construction paper and glue them inside the ears.
- Cut a third small triangle out. Cut small slits in the bottom of the triangle and then glue the triangle upside down to the top of the horse's head (between the ears).
- Glue two googly eyes onto the footprint.
- Use the black crayon and draw two small circles at the bottom of the footprint (near the toes), and a smile.
- Cut a piece of green construction paper out (approx. 3" high) to put at the bottom of the page for grass. Have your child cut slits alone one side of the rectangle. Glue rectangle down to the bottom of the blue construction paper making sure not to glue the cut area down.
- Cut thin strips of white construction paper out and glue them down to create a fence on top of the grassy section.